Abbott Buggy (Circa 1895) on display
The Village has received a donation of an Abbott Buggy by Suzanne Shalders.
The buggy is proudly displayed in the Visitor Reception Centre of the Village.
Johann Schubert and his wife Louisa purchased the buggy in Albury NSW in 1895 and at the time it was their only form of transport. The buggy became superseded in 1912 when the Schubert family purchased a new Model TFord.
The buggy had been used weekly to commute to Wodonga for their supplies, 7 miles (11 km) away. It was drawn by two small draft horses to complete the journey. Louisa was a midwife and travelled the district in the buggy to deliver many a baby.
The buggy was used in the Back to Wodonga Parade in 1951 as part of the Commonwealth and State celebrations. Cr John Schubert (Suzanne’s father) and his cousin Betty Schubert dressed in period costume for the celebrations held by the Wodonga Shire.
The buggy was handed down through the generations where Suzanne (great granddaughter of Johann) and her husband Philip sought to beautifully restore the carriage to its original condition.
When the restoration was completed the carriage made another appearance at their son’s wedding in Tallai Qld in 2015.
Suzanne has chosen to donate the Abbott buggy to the Caboolture Historical Society as part of the preservation of the history of the early Australian pioneers.